Is your cat grooming their fur slightly an excessive amount of?
Whereas grooming, licking and nibbling their fur is a superbly pure and regular cat habits (and most kitties will spend round 30-50% of their day perfecting their coat!), typically our furry pals could begin overgrooming.
Why is My Cat Biting Their Fur?
For those who discover your purr-fect pal consistently biting or grooming their fur, pulling at their hair or pulling it out - or in the event that they lick repeatedly at a sure spot, they could be overgrooming.
There are many causes for this habits. Allergy symptoms and stress could be the primary causes, so it’s essential to note in case your cat is overgrooming, and work to determine the difficulty.
For those who’ve observed your cat biting their fur an excessive amount of, contemplate:
● Have they got a pores and skin irritation? Fleas, allergy symptoms and different pores and skin issues can typically trigger irritations, making your pet chew their fur to scratch the itch! It’s at all times essential to talk to a vet to determine and deal with the trigger - your pet may have flea remedy, or could also be experiencing an allergy to one thing of their meals or round the home. Poor eating regimen and dietary deficiencies could be one other reason for pores and skin irritation, so at all times test with knowledgeable!
● Are they in ache? In case your pet is in ache, they could begin overgrooming as a method to soothe themselves. For instance, a cat with painful joints or an damage could lick the entire hair off in that space. Your veterinarian can test for allergy symptoms and ache, as causes, while you take them for a check-up.
● Is your pet burdened or bored? Licking and grooming is a soothing habits on your cat, so overgrooming is usually an instinctive response to emphasize, anxiousness or boredom.
Overgrooming behaviors are by no means wholesome on your pet, so it’s essential to attempt to determine the trigger, to be able to assist your kitty!
Indicators Of Cat Overgrooming
For those who’re unsure in case your pet is overgrooming - or simply retaining themselves clear - there are just a few indicators to be careful for. A cat who's overgrooming may:
● Repeatedly lick, pluck, chew or chew on an space of pores and skin
● Pull out tufts of fur
● Have patches of skinny fur or bald areas
● Have areas of crimson or damaged pores and skin brought on by biting - typically on their stomach or sides
Widespread areas to search for extreme grooming are in locations that your cats can attain simply with their tongue. Their abdomen, sides, internal hind legs, in addition to their legs, paws and tail could also be affected - and infrequently your pet will overgroom symmetrically on each side of the physique.
How one can Assist an Overgrooming Kitty
For those who suppose your pet is overgrooming, attempt to tackle the trigger instantly. It might assist to watch your cat’s grooming frequency so you'll be able to discover extreme behaviors. For those who suppose there could also be an issue, you must:
Examine with the vet
At all times test with the vet in the event you discover any overgrooming habits. Pores and skin situations, allergy symptoms, parasites, and ache can all trigger your pet to overgroom or consistently lick or chew their fur. Left untreated, your pet could cause further harm to themselves by biting - so at all times search skilled assist.
Reduce any stressors
For those who’ve decided that there are not any well being points affecting your kitty, contemplate if they're overgrooming as a stress administration tactic. Boredom, a brand new particular person or animal in the home, new sounds akin to roadworks or a brand new equipment, conflicts with one other cat, or modifications across the residence akin to adorning can all set off anxiousness on your pet.
Attempt to assess in case your cat is burdened or anxious and take away or amend any causes for concern. Sustaining a relaxed, relaxed surroundings is an effective method to begin - by no means shout at or punish your cat for any motive as this can solely confuse them and add to their stress!
Entertain your pet!
Is your cat overgrooming as a result of they're bored? Be certain that your pet has an excellent vary of toys to play with, a scratching put up and many kitty leisure! It’s essential to spend time enjoying together with your pets on a regular basis - set a routine and you should definitely play, pet and fuss your cat to develop your bond and guarantee they're glad!
Preserve to a routine
Our cats are very purr-ticular about their routines! They prefer to know what’s occurring, and when to anticipate issues like meals and playtime. With out that routine, your cat could change into burdened and overgroom themselves - so attempt to persist with your kitty routine.
Create a Calming Residence with FELIWAY
To assist your kitty really feel calm, settled and decrease stress-related behaviors, FELIWAY CLASSIC Diffuser can assist a constructive, comforting surroundings.
Clinically confirmed to consolation cats at residence and assist to nurture your relationship together with your cat, FELIWAY can scale back kitty stress and assist to stop stress-related overgrooming.