Choose a sunny, summer season day and head to one in every of these U-Choose blueberry farms, all only a quick drive away. Blueberry choosing usually begins in mid-July and runs roughly 3-Four weeks. Blueberries freeze properly, so you'll be able to get pleasure from their deliciousness (and antioxidants) year-round. However the place to seek out blueberry choosing close to right here? We’ve rounded up all of the blueberry U-Choose farms inside two hours of Chicago.
2022 Blueberry Selecting Season: U-Choose Berries Close to Chicago
Notice that a few of these farms could also be in a unique time zone (Indiana), so please maintain that in thoughts once you plan your journey. Hours may change because the season winds down or the availability begins to run low. Please name forward to make sure the perfect journey attainable for you and your loved ones. It will be horrible to drive out to a farm and never have the ability to decide, so we’ll say it yet one more time . . . name forward!
Every farm has completely different precautions this summer season to make sure your loved ones and their workers keep secure. Many ask patrons to put on a masks throughout check-in and check-out, hand sanitize earlier than choosing, and use completely different fee strategies. Examine along with your farm’s security tips earlier than you go. Don’t overlook to take a look at our ideas for choosing on the backside of the article!
U-Choose Blueberries Map: Discover a Blueberry Farm Close to You
Blueberry Selecting Close to Chicago: Begin Dates, Hours, Options
The next spots for u-pick blueberries are inside about two hours of Chicagoland.
Tammen Treeberry Farm
37131 Essex Highway
Wilmington, IL 60481
- Season normally begins round mid-July.
911 East State Avenue
Cherry Valley, IL 61016
Read more Find Clues to Locate the Apex Artifact
- Blueberry season normally begins the primary few weeks of July. In addition they normally have strawberries, rhubarb, cherries, blackberries, and raspberries accessible for u-pick, when in season.
McCann Berry Farm
18110 Kishwaukee Valley Highway
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Blueberry season normally begins mid-July and ends in early August.
- McCann Farm asks for examine or money fee.
Fritts Berry Farm
10301 N. State Highway 10
DeMotte, IN 46310
- Opening day is July 2, 2022
- The season normally lasts by means of early August.
- Their web site is up to date commonly; examine again for particulars.
6721 W. State Highway 10
Demotte, IN 46310
- Blueberries normally accessible mid-July.
- Examine their Fb web page for hottest info.
6716 Colorado Avenue
Hobart, IN 46342
- Name forward to examine U-Choose hours.
Johnson’s Farm Produce
8960 East Ridge Highway
Hobart, IN 46342
- Blueberry season begins June 2022. Examine their web site for U-Choose updates and costs.
Blue Sky Berry Farm
15552 S. 1050 W.
Wanatah, IN 46390
- Season normally runs early July via mid-August.
2666 W. St. Highway 10
Wheatfield, IN 46392
- U-Choose season normally begins on the finish of June.
- Examine their Fb web page for probably the most up-to-date info!
Grandma’s Berry Patch
9895 W. 1700 S.
Lacrosse, IN 46348
- U-Choose season normally begins in July; watch their web site for extra info.
Blueberries of Indiana
2388 W. 1000 North
LaPorte, IN 46350
- Season normally lasts July Four by means of Labor Day; name for updates.
- Convey your personal containers or buy some from the farm retailer.
5911 W. 50 S
LaPorte, IN 46350
- Opening day is normally early July.
- This farm provides many alternative fruit and veggies for buy and choosing. Examine the web site for updated info on what is on the market.
9957 North Frontage Highway
Michigan Metropolis, IN 46360
- Examine web site for opening dates nearer to July.
- All types of fee are accepted; no pets.
Billy Boy’s Blueberry Barn
650 Freyer Highway
Michigan Metropolis, IN 46360
- Examine their Fb web page for updates about opening day; normally opens early July.
Bonnell’s Blueberry Patch
4840 S. 600 West
North Judson, IN 46366
- Money or examine accepted; carry your personal bins or containers.
- Examine their Fb web page for extra info on opening day.
The Blueberry Patch in Sawyer, Michigan seems to have completely closed.
Planning Your Journey
Inquiries to Ask
At all times name earlier than you go choosing to confirm hours. (We are able to’t stress this sufficient!) Ask if the fields are picked over or nonetheless have an honest quantity of blueberries to select. The size of the season is vastly affected by the climate, particularly with berries.
Some farms cost for containers or don’t provide them in any respect, so plan for that, too. You would possibly carry small buckets or metallic espresso cans with tender rope by means of all sides.
Ask the kind of fee they like. Many choose money or examine, whereas others need bank card solely.
You can too ask when the fields have been sprayed, to see if it has rained since then. It’s far more enjoyable to select in the event you can pattern alongside the best way!
Issues to Convey
Hats. Generally you'll be able to stand within the shade of the blueberry bushes, however shade isn’t at all times accessible within the subject. When you carry a child, put them in a big-brimmed bucket hat or arrange a blanket with an umbrella in the midst of the row and ensure your toddler is within the shade.
Convey a stroller or wagon. The fields will be distant from the parking space.
Gown frivolously and produce sunscreen and bug spray. After it rains, generally the mosquitos linger. Put on health club footwear with socks, and even higher but, boots. You're going to get soiled, however that’s half the enjoyable, proper?
Read more Is Delta 9 Legal in Florida?
Water! Drink it usually! You don’t notice all of the bending over and sunshine catches up with you!
Convey a picnic lunch or at the least a snack and a blanket to eat on. Convey wipes and hand sanitizer, too.
Don’t put on good garments or footwear. Particularly with children, you virtually at all times get blueberry juice in your garments… which is de facto onerous to get out! Convey a change of garments to put on on the best way residence for the youngsters, and perhaps grown-ups, too.
Blueberry Selecting Suggestions
Blueberries are ripe when they're all darkish blue. The portion across the stem turns colour final, so don’t decide berries which are simply blue on the underside. If the berries are barely crimson across the stem they're good, just a bit tart.
You probably have a bucket or espresso can with a rope tied to it, you'll be able to dangle it round your neck to permit the berries to fall into the container as you decide (a lot quicker).
Typically there are nice berries within the middle of the bush, or down low, which is ideal on your little ones!
When You Get Dwelling
Don’t wash your blueberries till you're able to eat them. Washing makes them extra liable to spoiling.
Freeze your blueberries: It's higher to freeze blueberries with out washing them so they don't get icy. Simply pour them right into a ziplock bag and place within the freezer. Blueberries can maintain for months within the freezer!
We’ve bought tons extra out of doors actions to do with your loved ones this summer season! Did we overlook one in every of your favourite blueberry farms? Please remark under so we make certain so as to add it. Did you go to one in every of these farms? We’d like to see your footage! Please tag us on Fb or Instagram with #mykidlist.