Whether or not you’re trying to undertake a Maine Coon otherwise you’re curious in case your moggy has some Maine Coon in them, you’re not alone. Ask an invested feline fanatic, they usually’ll instantly roll out nerdy Maine Coon vs. regular cat information, which may be borderline imprecise and incomprehensible!
On this information, we comply with a simplified strategy to streamline the visible and non-visual markers of Maine Coons. Our no-fuss evaluation hacks will make it tremendous simple so that you can inform this breed other than different domesticated kitties. We’ll additionally provide some useful repairs and dietary suggestions unique to those felines!
Maine Coon cat vs. common cat—bodily variations
Should you examine Maine Coons with different cats visually, you’ll discover that this breed is considerably bigger and fluffier than common kitties. They originate from the predominantly chilly New England area within the U.S. and have thick double coats for winter insulation. Their signature lengthy fur can develop out to type a pyramid form round their necks, typically resembling the lustrous mane of a lion. These options appear distinct however are additionally noticed in different breeds that come from chilly climates, like Siberians and Norwegian Forest cats. So, what distinctive physiognomy and bodily attributes do Maine Coons have? Let’s discover out!
An infallible one-look evaluation for Maine Coons!
Telling if a kitty is a purebred Maine Coon is easy if you realize the place to look. For instance, Maine Coons don’t have distinct coat colors, however their distinctive eyes are clear giveaways of their breed!
The desk beneath will aid you make a fast visible evaluation:
| || |
Angular and upright, with lengthy tufts rising out of inside ears and edges
Sizes differ, and small tufts often develop from inside ears solely
| || |
Most cats, together with British Shorthairs, Persians, and Bengals, have average-sized, rounded eyes
Bushy, about 28–40 centimetres lengthy
Quick, bony, and 20–28 centimetres lengthy
| || |
A Maine Coon has a square-ish, elongated face, with a definite concave slope between their brow and nostril. European Maine Coons have even longer faces with distinguished cheekbones
Different breeds have rounded faces with triangular jaw buildings and no distinguished slope beneath their foreheads
| || |
Common cats are short-haired and often don’t have water resistant coats
Read more Can Cats Eat Soy? What You Need to Know!
Maine Coon vs. home cat—persona distinction
Listed below are some distinctive persona traits of Maine Coons:
- Pleasant and sociable—Maine Coons are referred to as the canine of the cat world as a result of they thrive on connecting with people and different pets, in contrast to common cats who often preserve to themselves. Introduce your Coonie to strangers, they usually’re more likely to stroll proper up and hop into their laps!
- Impartial—A Maine Coon’s independence doesn’t contradict their sociability. They’re devoted to you but additionally indifferent and may go concerning the day with out searching for your consideration. Whereas felines like Siamese and the Abyssinian cats may be emotionally needy, Maine Coons don’t thoughts hanging out by themselves so long as you deal with their meals on time
- Observant—Maine Coons are extra observant than common indoor cats due to their sharp searching instincts. They was barn cats adept at retaining farms free from bugs, birds, and pests. Naturally, they're extra attentive to their setting than common cats and may simply make a psychological map of your each day schedule and little eccentricities
- Vocal—Maine Coons vocalise otherwise than different cats because of their quiet, high-pitched voice. Whereas they're expressive, they don’t typically go for the usual meowing however set free shrill purrs, loud chirps, and lengthy, drawn-out yowls to speak
- Considerate—It’s superb how Maine Coons translate their intelligence to sort gestures like comforting you if you’re unhappy or searching to your child if you’re not round. Their unwavering loyalty to their people makes them simply trainable as pets
Caring for a Maine Coon as in comparison with a traditional cat
As a Maine Coon cat guardian, you must take note of your kitty’s:
- Breed-specific grooming wants
- Dietary necessities for optimum well being
Do Maine Coons want particular grooming?
Maine Coons want a extra rigorous grooming schedule than different kitties. Though this breed can shed their brief undercoat seasonally, these dwelling indoors in a temperature-controlled setting should not shed an excessive amount of. You need to make an appropriate grooming schedule primarily based in your kitty’s particular person shedding sample.
Listed below are some grooming suggestions shared by numerous Maine Coon pawrents:
- Brush their coat not less than as soon as each week (grooming classes can flip into a satisfying bonding session should you play your playing cards proper!)
- Bathe them often to minimise dander, particularly if somebody in your family is allergic to cats
- Clear their tooth daily as this breed is vulnerable to dental and gum illnesses
- Think about trimming your Maine Coon’s coat if their instant setting is heat. Their coat is constructed to resist the chilly, and steady publicity to warmth may cause low-grade shedding all year long
- Get them a tall scratching publish to maintain their claws wholesome
What are the dietary wants of Maine Coons?
A Maine Coon’s lifespan isn't promising when in comparison with that of normal cats. Most wholesome cats can stay as much as 20 years, however Maine Coons have a median lifespan of 12–15 years. This breed is vulnerable to growing a number of well being issues as they grow old. Sure illnesses like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, cystitis, and spinal muscular atrophy are genetic, whereas different circumstances like weight problems, diabetes, and hip dysplasia may be attributable to poor diet.
Read more Tabby male cat names
High quality meals performs an enormous function in retaining Maine Coons wholesome all through life. When searching for meals merchandise, preserve an eye fixed out for the protein-fat-carb ratio. In response to the nutrient ratios within the pure feline weight-reduction plan, your kitty’s meals ought to have:
- Over 50% proteins—Maine Coons want sufficient proteins from complete meats to keep up their brawny physique. Ensure their meals have amino acids like taurine and arginine which are essential for cardiovascular and bone well being. These micronutrients are present in animal proteins like hen breast and liver, tuna, salmon, turkey, and so on.
- As much as 20% fat—Fatty acids (reminiscent of omega-3) preserve a Maine Coon’s coat shiny and stop frizz and tangles. Lean seafood like salmon, mackerel, and sardine are nice sources of excellent fat
- Not more than 3% carbs—Your kitty shouldn’t have too many carbs as they don’t have sufficient digestive enzymes to course of the nutrient. Maine Coons on high-carb diets can undergo from:
- Weight acquire and diabetes mellitus
- Frequent gastrointestinal points (barfing, constipation, regurgitation, and so on.)
- Meals allergy symptoms and intolerances (often attributable to grains and dairy)
So, what meals works for Maine Coons?
Maine Coons do properly on a grain-free, high-protein moist meals produced from complete meat. Keep away from merchandise with fillers and poor-quality protein sources, reminiscent of processed animal derivatives, plant proteins, and hydrolysed proteins. Some vets don’t suggest giving uncooked meals to Maine Coons as such merchandise carry an enormous threat of meals poisoning attributable to pathogen contamination.
Apart from feeding them high-quality meals, you also needs to guarantee your Maine Coon follows an appropriate meal plan. Ideally, they need to devour about 45 energy per day for each kilo of their body weight. You'll be able to unfold their each day rations in 2–Three meals and serve them at intervals of Eight to 12 hours to forestall unhealthy consuming habits like bingeing and gorging.
Assist your Maine Coon stay a wholesome life with Untamed moist meals!
Maine Coons want meals that enhances their muscular construct and promotes their well being in the long term. Untamed moist meals helps this breed completely! Our jelly and gravy meals comprise human-grade complete meat cooked in pure substances, ultimate for sustaining a kitty’s muscle tone and regulating their organ perform.
Untamed recipes are formulated by vets to incorporate appropriate portions of all necessary micronutrients like taurine and vitamin E. You'll be able to belief our meals to be:
- Excessive-protein—Our meals is 60%–63% complete meats like hen, duck, tuna, salmon, mackerel, sardine, and shrimp. The protein content material we provide is twice as excessive as that in most retail merchandise!
- Allergen-free—Widespread allergens like dairy and grains haven't any place in our dishes. In case your kitty is slowed down by meals allergy symptoms or sensitivities, attempt our single-protein meals:
- Chocka Rooster in Jelly
- Tuck-in Tuna in Jelly
- Tummy-friendly—We don’t add hard-to-digest substances like animal derivatives and plant proteins to our meals. Our light steaming methodology retains the meat tender, which promotes clean digestion
- Tremendous tasty—At Untamed, we protect the pure style and aroma of our meaty morsels. Even the fussiest of divas can not refuse our meals!
We’d like to know extra about your kitty—take our TRY NOW quiz to order an Untamed taster pack for them!
For Untamed, each kitty is one in one million!
In order for you meals appropriate for felines of all breeds and ages, Untamed is your reply! Our formulation can optimise the well being of kittens, grownup cats, and seniors. Common consumption of our sugar- and grain-free merchandise can:
- Stabilise weight and urge for food in cats
- Stop or handle frequent sicknesses like diabetes, arthritis, and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Cut back points with the gastrointestinal tract, reminiscent of gagging, vomiting, and diarrhoea
We don’t should brag about our top-notch merchandise—the Untamed impact does that for us! Right here’s the suggestions we’ve gotten from our purchasers who’ve switched their kitties to Untamed:
The fabulous Untamed impact!
Sixth month and past
Store with ease—make the very best use of our free dwelling deliveries!
Our meals is tailor-made to supply the very best to kitties, however our buying expertise is all about you! We provide these companies to make your life simpler:
- Free one-day transport
- Common supply of cat meals to the doorstep each month
- Simple modification of orders
- A no-questions-asked cancellation coverage
We adhere to eco-friendly and moral practices, which embrace:
- Utilizing recyclable packaging
- Shopping for humanely farmed meat
- Getting seafood from dolphin-safe and sustainable suppliers
Begin your Untamed cat meals trial immediately by following these steps:
- Take our TRY NOW quiz
- Choose the merchandise
- Place the order
We’ll be honoured to feed your kitty for all times!
Elevating Maine Coons vs. common kittens—progress variations
Whereas common kittens develop into adults inside a 12 months, Maine Coon younglings want three to 5 years to succeed in their full measurement. Their peculiar progress fee impacts how a lot and the way typically they eat. This breed wants bigger meals than common kitties all through kittenhood, unfold throughout 4 to eight meals in a day.
A Maine Coon kitten wants the identical vitamins as different felines. They need to have a high-calorie weight-reduction plan containing over 50% proteins. Keep away from giving them dry meals recurrently as it's extremely processed and loaded with carbs. Your kitty can get hooked on the synthetic texture of biscuits and reject wholesome canned meals later.
Maine Coon kittens are curious explorers, so be sure you preserve poisonous meals like grapes, garlic, and onions out of their attain.