In case your Mac keyboard stops working, it’s nearly inconceivable to do something helpful along with your Mac. You may’t write any paperwork or kind into your internet browser. And the issue is even worse in case your MacBook keyboard isn’t working as a result of you possibly can’t simply change it with a brand new one. However there are some widespread fixes for Mac keyboard issues, which could be precisely what you’re on the lookout for.
Listed below are just a few widespread methods to repair Mac keyboard points:
- Clear your Mac keyboard
- Replace macOS
- Delete .plist information
- Delete just lately put in apps
- Reset your SMC
- Strive one other keyboard
- Test your USB connection
- Test your batteries
- Test Bluetooth
- Test your wi-fi dongle
Clear your Mac keyboard
When sure Mac keyboard keys aren’t working, it might be brought on by mud and different junk beneath them. That is seemingly in case you have a behavior of consuming whereas utilizing your Mac.
- Cleansing out beneath the keys might resolve the issue.
- Maintain your MacBook or Mac keyboard vertically, ideally at a 75º angle
- Utilizing a can of compressed air, spray the keyboard or the non-functioning keys. Then transfer in a left-to-right route
- Rotate your MacBook or keyboard to its proper after which left aspect. Repeat the motion
It’s doable your Mac keyboard isn’t working resulting from software program points. In that case, updating macOS might assist.
3. If there are updates accessible, set up them
Additionally, should you want extra assist, learn this detailed information on the best way to replace Mac.
macOS shops settings in information with the .plist extension. Deleting .plist information can assist with all kinds of issues, by resetting settings that could be the trigger. Earlier than you do delete any .plist information, although, you may need to again up your Mac with Time Machine, in case you run into any points later.
1. From Finder, press Cmd + Shift + G
2. Sort in and click on
3. Discover and delete
4. Restart your Mac
There are many different .plist information in your Mac. Deleting this can assist with many different points, together with issues along with your Mac’s mouse. macOS will rebuild them when essential.
Delete just lately put in apps
Your Mac keyboard is probably not working as a result of a brand new app is interfering with it. If the issue began just lately, take into consideration what apps you’ve added, and check out eradicating them.
Easy methods to see just lately put in apps on a Mac:
- Open Finder, and go to the folder
- Utilizing the type choices on the prime of Finder, choose
Reset your SMC
SMC stands for System Administration Controller. It controls sure low-functions of sure Macs, a few of which relate to the keyboard. So in case your Mac keyboard has stopped working, it’s a good suggestion to reset it. The way you try this is determined by varied standards, like whether or not it’s an Intel or M1 Mac, an iMac or MacBook, and whether or not it has a T2 Safety Chip in it or not.
How to reset the SMC for MacBooks with T2 chip:
- Flip off your MacBook
- Maintain down Ctl + Choose on the left aspect of your keyboard and Shift on the proper aspect
- Hold them held down for seven seconds, then press and maintain the ability button too.
- After one other seven seconds, launch all keys
- After just a few extra seconds, flip your MacBook on once more
Easy methods to reset the SMC for MacBooks with out the T2 chip:
- Flip off your MacBook
- Press and maintain Ctrl + Shift + Choose on the left aspect of your keyboard
- Conserving them held down, press and maintain down the ability button
- After 10 seconds, launch all 4 keys
- Flip in your MacBook once more
For a lot older MacBooks, which have detachable batteries, examine the official information to resetting the SMC.
To reset the SMC in an Intel iMac or Mac Mini, simply flip it off, unplug it from the mains for 15 seconds, after which flip it again on once more. M1 Macs, in the meantime, don’t use an SMC in any respect, so there’s nothing to reset.
Strive one other keyboard
When your Mac keyboard isn’t working, attempting a unique one is a good suggestion. If a unique keyboard works, then the issue is prone to be associated to software program or your Mac itself.
That applies to MacBooks too. It’s not very best, however you possibly can join an exterior keyboard and sort like that. Nonetheless, changing a MacBook keyboard may be troublesome, so that you may want skilled help if it seems the keyboard is damaged.
Additionally, it’s identified that sure MacBook Air and MacBook Professional keyboards cease working resulting from their design. These MacBooks all use what’s referred to as the ‘butterfly’ keyboard, and yours could also be eligible for a free substitute.
Test your USB connection
Typically, you possibly can repair a USB Mac keyboard drawback simply by unplugging it after which plugging it again in once more. You also needs to examine to see your USB ports are working okay. Unplug your keyboard, after which plug one thing else into that port, like your mouse. If it really works, then the USB port might be high quality.
In case your wi-fi Apple keyboard isn’t turning on, strive changing the batteries, if doable. However should you’re utilizing one thing just like the newer Apple Magic keyboard, which has a built-in battery, examine it’s charged. Additionally, strive utilizing a unique charging cable and a unique USB port in your Mac. Any of these items might be the explanation your Mac keyboard received’t activate.
Utilizing a Bluetooth keyboard? The issue might be brought on by your Mac’s Bluetooth settings. Eradicating your keyboard out of your Mac’s Bluetooth machine listing after which including it once more might be the answer.
1. In System Preferences, choose
2. Test if Bluetooth is activated
3. In case your Bluetooth keyboard is paired along with your Mac, it needs to be listed beneath
4. Choose your keyboard, and click on the to take away it
5. Pair your keyboard along with your Mac once more
Test your wi-fi dongle
Some wi-fi keyboards use a USB dongle to connect with your Mac. Even when the batteries are totally charged in your keyboard, if it may possibly’t hook up with the dongle, it received’t work.
It is a troublesome drawback to examine, sadly. The wi-fi chips in both the dongle or the keyboard might be damaged, and there’s no good option to discover out.
You may strive plugging the dongle into a unique USB port, although, in addition to on one other laptop. If it really works elsewhere, the keyboard and dongle are high quality.
Is it time for a brand new keyboard?
With a bit of luck, one of many fixes on this article labored for you. However typically Mac keyboards cease working as a result of they’re damaged past restore. They are often completely broken by liquids, for instance. They usually may also simply put on out over time, notably should you hit the keys laborious if you kind.
Strive your keyboard on a unique laptop, should you can. And take a look at a unique keyboard along with your Mac. That method you possibly can get rid of each as the issue and work out what’s truly unsuitable.
Why are some keys on my keyboard not working?
If solely sure keys in your Mac keyboard aren’t working, it might be as a result of they’re broken or soiled. You may need additionally enabled an choice or software that modifications the perform of sure keys. For instance, hitting Num Lock on the numpad will change what these keys do.
How do I make my Apple wi-fi keyboard discoverable?
To place an Apple Magic Keyboard into pairing mode:
- Join it to your Mac with a Lightning to USB cable
- Make certain the keyboard’s energy change is on
- Choose in System Preferences. Your keyboard will seem in there when it’s paired and prepared
What ought to I do if my keyboard backlight isn’t turning on?
Though it’s doable the LEDs in your keyboard might be broken, it’s seemingly brought on by your settings. In addition to following Apple’s official steering on adjusting your keyboard backlighting, strive resetting your Mac’s SMC and eradicating related .plist information.
- Important Keyboard Shortcuts for Mac Customers
- 5 Straightforward Methods to Proper-Click on on a Mac
- Easy methods to Take a Screenshot on a Mac
- Easy methods to Run Apple Diagnostics to Repair Your Mac’s Errors
- 6 Steps to Comply with When Bluetooth Is Not Engaged on Your Mac