You probably have lately put in MacOS Monterey and remorse doing so for no matter purpose, maybe incompatibility with some vital functions, common instability, or experiencing another issues with MacOS Monterey that make it unworkable for you, you could be thinking about downgrading from MacOS Monterey again to macOS Huge Sur, or regardless of the prior macOS launch was.
Downgrading macOS Monterey entails erasing the Mac, reinstalling macOS, after which utilizing Time Machine to revive the info, and that's the methodology we'll cowl right here. The method is a bit totally different on Intel Macs versus Apple Silicon Macs.
In the event you don’t have a Time Machine backup accessible from earlier than you up to date to macOS Monterey, don't proceed.
- An entire backup manufactured from the Mac previous to putting in MacOS Monterey (from Huge Sur, and many others)
- A bootable macOS Huge Sur installer drive useful for reinstalling macOS (for Apple Silicon Macs)
- An lively web connection
Word for Apple Silicon Macs, you'll be restricted to downgrading to macOS Huge Sur since that's the earliest model supported by Huge Sur. The newest M1 Max and M1 Professional Macs cannot downgrade from Monterey.
The right way to Downgrade MacOS Monterey to Huge Sur
At all times carry out a whole Time Machine backup earlier than continuing. Additionally, be sure that you've got an older Time Machine backup accessible from earlier than you up to date to MacOS Monterey.
Word that any knowledge discrepancy between the 2 backups have to be manually resolved, by copying these recordsdata created between the Monterey and prior macOS backup, to one thing like an exterior onerous drive, to allow them to be restored after downgrading.
Downgrading entails erasing the Mac, reinstalling macOS, then restoring from Time Machine.
- Restart the Mac, after which do the next relying on Mac structure
- For M1 Mac: instantly maintain the Energy button till you see the boot choices, then select “Choices” and proceed
- For Intel Mac: instantly maintain down the Command + R keys as well your Mac into Restoration mode
- For Intel Mac, select “Restore from Time Machine” from the macOS Utilities menu
- Choose the Time Machine drive that’s linked to your Mac and select “Proceed”, then on the “Choose a Backup” display, select the newest backup made with the macOS model you wish to downgrade to
- Click on on “Restore” to start the restore/downgrade course of to that model of macOS
- For Apple Silicon M1 Mac:** restart the Mac and boot from a macOS Huge Sur installer USB drive by connecting the USB installer to the Mac and holding the Energy button to pick the macOS installer from the boot menu
- Select to “Reinstall macOS Huge Sur” on the Mac and undergo the set up steps
- After macOS Huge Sur has completed putting in, you'll undergo the everyday Mac setup display the place you may choose to revive from a Time Machine backup, choose the macOS Huge Sur Time Machine backup to revive from and proceed as normal
* Word that you could be want to permit exterior drive booting on the Mac with T2 chip in the event you’re making an attempt as well an Intel Mac with a bootable USB drive.
** You may also reinstall macOS Huge Sur on an Apple Silicon Mac through the use of Web Restoration, which is accessible from the boot menu choices when holding down the Energy button at system begin. Relying in your web connection velocity, this can be slower than utilizing a USB key.
When all is completed, you’ll be restored again to macOS Huge Sur.
Now could be the time to resolve any file discrepancy, so in the event you had knowledge that you just manually backed up between the Monterey replace and restored Huge Sur backup, you’ll wish to copy these recordsdata over.
Did you downgrade from MacOS Monterey to macOS Huge Sur? Why? How did it go? Did you utilize the strategies above or did you utilize web restoration? Tell us your experiences within the feedback.